Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > International Women's Day 2023

International Women's Day 2023

A truly inspiring International Women's Day Festival at Roedean
27 Mar 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
School News

The School’s International Women's Day Festival was a huge success and an inspiration to all. The students were able to hear five talks and it was brilliant that they were also joined by students from our Roedean Academy partners. 

There was a huge array of fascinating speakers including Sophie Montagne, a member of the first female team to ski across Antarctica, Mairi Cunningham, who has worked for British charity the HALO Trust, overseeing humanitarian mine action, and Lesley Fitton OBE a British classical archaeologist who was the first woman to hold the role of Keeper of the Department of Greece and Rome at the British Museum. 

We were also delighted to welcome two ORs, Kelly Chan (No.2, 2010-16), who spoke about her career in Fashion Photography and Creative and Art Direction, and Dr. Naomi Falcone (No.1, 2002-11), who spoke about The Evolving Roles of a Doctor in the Modern Day. 

The feedback has been incredibly positive, and it has been lovely to hear from some of those who attended.

'I enjoyed Dr. Suzie Imber's talk, because I have a particular interest in Physics, and she inspired me to try to commit to the opportunities I have in front of me, whether or not my fear is holding me back. Her joyful personality, and her courage and confidence are truly phenomenal.'

Zyta (Yr9)

'I enjoyed Kelly's talk the most because I always find it inspiring when Old Rodeanians discuss their path after they leave School, because it excites me for all the possibilities ahead.'

Sarah (Yr13)

'I enjoyed Lesley Fitton's talk because I had always thought that Classical Greek sculptures were always white and plain, but I would have never guessed they would have been filled with colour!'

Juliette (Yr8)

You can read more about all of the speakers in our International Women's Day Festival brochure:

Similar stories

Keep an eye on the Roedean Merchandise Shop as we add new products this summer! More...

Kicking off the summer term with golf, West End workshops, and musical success stories. More...

Year 8 smash through their targets in their year group fundraising challenge. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Most read

Catching up with friends, old and new. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech