Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Future Roedeanian holds a toy sale for Ukraine

Future Roedeanian holds a toy sale for Ukraine

Jemima raised £600 for the Ukrainian Bursary Appeal
26 Jul 2022
Written by Grace Chaston (Cather)
School News

Future Roedeanian (and daughter of OR Sophia Williams, Borthwick, No. 4, 1985-88) Jemima, is already an inspiration to us all. With the need to clear out some toys ready for her family's move to Brighton this summer, Jemima decided that she wanted to take the opportunity to support Ukrainian Refugees through our Ukrainian Bursary Appeal.

'"When I heard about the Ukrainian Bursary Appeal, I knew immediately that I wanted to do something to help. We are planning to move soon to Brighton as I’m starting Year 7 at Roedean in September, so I decided to sell some of my old toys to help the downsize, and donate all the proceeds to the appeal. I made a flyer for the sale and copied it, then put it through all the letterboxes in our street and the next one. There were lots of toys for sale, including some soft animals, a sandpit and a toy canal.

We were visited by some lovely people and families who were very happy with their purchases, but what stood out for me by far was the visit from a Ukrainian family – a mother with two primary aged children, a grandmother and the mother’s niece. The mother spoke a little English, but the others didn’t know any at all. I didn’t know any Ukrainian, but I suddenly thought of using Google Translate and playing the translated messages to them. When I told them that they could have the toys for free, the mother’s eyes filled up with tears and she pulled her sunhat over her face. She couldn’t say anything for a while because she was so overcome with emotion. It was very special to see them take my toys and look so delighted with them and I know that they went to kind, caring owners who would value them hugely.

I have raised £600 so far with a few more toys to go which are now listed on our local buy and sell website and eBay!"

Congratulations and thank you Jemima for your support, we are looking forward to welcoming you to Roedean in September!

Jemima's toy sale, and the incredible generosity of our community, means that we have already reached almost half way towards our target of £50,000. If you would like to learn more about the appeal, and how you can help the ten Ukrainian students who will be joining Roedean in September, please visit our appeal website: https://community.roedean.co.uk/pages/ukrainian-bursary-appeal or read the brochure below.

Donations can be made online via the website or by returning a completed Gift Form. If you would like to discuss your donation, or holding a fundraising event of your own, please contact Grace Chaston on glc@roedean.co.uk or 01273 667398.

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was int… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech