Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Young Roedeanians Networking Event 2021

Young Roedeanians Networking Event 2021

16 Mar 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

On Thursday 25 February 2021 we were delighted to host our inaugural Young Roedeanians Networking Event. The event brought together likeminded ORs who are either at university or taking their first steps into their careers.

Sharing their years of experience and words of wisdom, we had fantastic OR Career reps hosting a breakout room in their area of specialty. The sectors ranged from Medicine to Creative Arts, and it was wonderful to see the engaging discussions and exchanges of advice throughout the event.

Attendee Lucy Hodges (No. 2, 2001-08) said, 'The Young Roedeanian Networking Event was a wonderful call - it brought together ORs from different professional fields and year groups in such a helpful way. After spending some time catching up with each other as a single large group, we split off into field-specific breakout 'rooms' on Zoom. Here, ORs searching for jobs and those about to graduate from university shared experience with, and asked questions of, ORs working in the area. It turned out one OR (who joined Roedean the year that I left, so we just missed each other!) was applying for jobs at companies I was very familiar with - so I could immediately send her ideas for more companies, and think of people to put her in touch with. I learned a great deal from ORs in my breakout room and, as always, was comforted and impressed by their stories of finding ways around professional or career 'problems' over the years! I am so looking forward to the next one - it was a brilliant event.'

A huge thank you to our Career Reps Christine Luscombe (No.2, 1990-96), Tessa Orlebar (No. 2, 2002-06), Abadesi Osusunade (No. 2, 2004-06), Teresa Outhwaite (Brach, No. 1, 1985-91), Parisah Seyed-Safi (No. 2, 2002-09) and Nicky Smith (No. 4, 1980-87).

Mary Henderson (No. 3, 1971-76) also attended to represent the ORA and was a great help in the STEM breakout room. Thank you!

We would love to hear from you if you have an exciting idea for a networking event or if you would like to be put in touch with an OR working in a career of interest please do get in touch at alumnae@roedean.co.uk.

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech