Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Alex is 10th on the Global Rankings over 500 Metres

Alex is 10th on the Global Rankings over 500 Metres

6 Nov 2020
School News

Roedean is incredibly proud of Alex, in Year 9, who is a Team GB speed skater – despite not being able to train on the ice since lockdown in March, she has recorded a new Personal Best time for the 500 metres, 777 metres, and 1000 metres, at an international short track competition in Spisska Nova Ves, in Slovakia. The highlight is going sub 50 seconds over 500 metres – her new PB is 49.756 seconds. She is now officially the fastest female skater in the UK under the age of 18.

Alex said, ‘the lockdown has been hard as I have not been able to train on the ice for almost five months. I have done my best to keep fit however, by running on Streatham Common, working my core with a personal trainer, and by doing speed skating exercises and Zwifting on my bike at home. I have also been doing inline skating when my parents were able to take me to Tatum Park in North London where they have a purpose-built skating oval.’

She went on to say, ‘I didn’t expect to get a PB in Oberstdorf, so it made my day when I realised I had shaved off almost half a second. I guess my fitness regime at home has paid off.’ Oberstdorf was the weekend before the Spisska Nova Ves competition, and she performed even better there – her new times mean that she is 17th in the world rankings for 1000 metres, 2nd over 777 metres, and 10th over 500 metres, which is the blue riband event in Speed Skating. As if this were not a sufficiently high accolade, all nine girls above her in the rankings are in their final year of the Junior C category, whereas Alex has only just moved into it – this is very exciting for the future!

Alex has been at Roedean since Year 7, and she has done fantastically well to maintain a high academic level, while balancing this with regular travel to attend international training camps and competitions.

Everyone at Roedean wishes Alex well, and she will be one to watch!

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech