Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Mrs Finn at the World Scout Jamboree

Mrs Finn at the World Scout Jamboree

So...what does Mrs Finn, one of our geography teachers, get up to in her free time?!
18 Jan 2022
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

In the Summer of 2023, more than 40,000 Explorer Scouts from 150 different countries will gather in South Korea for the 25th World Scout Jamboree.

Mrs Finn has been involved in scouting for the last 9 years – she said: 'I decided that I don’t spend enough time with young people (!), so, last August, I began the selection process to lead a Unit of Explorers from across West Sussex (36 young people, aged between 14-18, and 3 other adults) to the next World Jamboree.'

Her selection process consisted of two gruelling weekend camps where, at times, she was blindfolded, tied up, and not allowed to speak. Sleep deprived, she threw herself into numerous team-building/leadership challenges, culminating in a panel interview. So after all that, she thoroughly deserves to be congratulated on her selection – she will lead Unit 73 of the UK Contingent.

Mrs Finn said, 'Honestly, I am so excited to share in this adventure and be immersed in our global scouting community. Much like teaching, it is a privilege to help facilitate success and play a small part in a young person’s personal empowerment and growth. It’s bonkers fun too! As a geographer, I’m delighted that this event promises to be managed in a sustainable way, which is no mean feat considering the scale of this global event, with its campsite being the size of Crawley town, and the sheer number of people from all over the world. There will need to be plenty of carbon offsetting and thoughtful planning too.

Since selection, my team and I have been working to plan preparation camps / events for Unit 73. We will camp almost every month up until the Jamboree. Each camp is designed to encourage unity and develop skills empowering our Explorers for the challenges that lay ahead, enabling our young people to gain the most from this experience. Our first camp is in two weeks, and I am super excited to meet Unit 73 for the first time.'

To help prepare Unit 73, Mrs Finn has reached out to our Roedean students from South Korea. She has invited them to help support the cultural preparation. These girls will also have the opportunity to join her and Unit 73 on a preparation camp too.

Mrs Finn needs to raise money to fund her journey and subsidise the costs of leaders from poorer nations too: 'Look out for, and please support, my cake sale and other fundraising events in the coming months!'

Similar stories

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Most read

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was int… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech