Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Sleeping Rough with Off The Fence

Sleeping Rough with Off The Fence

Mr Weir, a Mathematics teacher at Roedean, experiences what a night is actually like for the homeless.
1 Dec 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

Roedean has supported Off The Fence, a local homeless charity, for a number of years. In normal times, before Covid, the School provided 100 hot meals each week for those sleeping on the streets of Brighton and Hove. The Catering department prepared 100 additional portions of whatever the Roedean students were eating that day, and these were transported to Off The Fence to be distributed.

In Covid times, it was not safe to do this, so we have been providing sandwiches and fruits instead, but the school community is looking forward to the time when we can share a warming meal with those who do not have a roof over their head. Mr Weir is also a Trustee of Off The Fence, and he chose to sleep out for one night, to understand better what it is like to sleep on the streets.

Below are his reflections on the experience:

‘When travelling on the bus, and walking down to the level, to start my sleep-out adventure, I got some odd looks. I realised that some people thought I was a rough sleeper with my backpack and sleeping bag in tow. I felt a bit defensive, almost as if I needed to explain that I wasn’t. But why should I have been ashamed, and why should they have been so dismissive? This was the start of a long night!

No rain was forecast, but in typical English fashion it started to rain, proving yet again that my weather app was useless. I was, however, well prepared, with the help of Mr Fieldsend, at least in terms of equipment. During the evening, we were provided with food by an agency who hand it out regularly to the homeless. This was a blessing without which I might not have been able to eat if I didn’t have money. I caught up with a client (one of the rough sleepers) I had known from when I volunteered before joining Roedean. Chris had been on the streets for 28 years, and 2 years ago had finally broken his heroin and alcohol addiction and was now in housing. When I had helped him before he was permanently high, but always remained friendly. I was, however, sad to see he had now lost all his teeth and had other physical ailments, as well as severe mental health issues.  For me, this was hard to understand and see in my city, right under my own nose. He did say that Off The Fence had literally saved his life, but unfortunately many are not so fortunate. Paul Young, the CEO and founder of Off The Fence, told me that last week the Council finally stopped the free accommodation given to the rough sleepers during the pandemic, and many more were back on the streets coming into winter. I can only wonder how many might die as a result of this decision in the coming months.

Over 90 people had taken the decision to experience what it was like to sleep out under the stars along with me, in the centre of town, without a tent. We were lucky that the temperature was unseasonably warm, but the inconvenience of the rain was now a bit more real as we approached 10pm. My sleeping bag was now damp, and I tried to cover it with a plastic sheet, but stood in a puddle in my socks while trying to get in. My beautiful sleeping den made of a cardboard box was now bowing in the middle, and I feared it might end up collapsing in the night. Eventually, I settled into my sleeping bag and it was then that the stark reality hit. There were loud noises all around, buses, emergency service vehicles, and the odd drunk trying to poke their head into the camp to see what was going on. Thankfully we had security guards, but I couldn’t help but think that, without them, the experience would have been scary, and the limited chance of sleeping virtually impossible. Most of the deaths on the street are caused by the rough sleepers getting wet, and I now had a damp sleeping bag and socks. Wet and cold would have been a real problem.

I didn’t get much sleep, and I guess that is the reality. Day after day trying to exist in a tired fog, relying on others for handouts and dry clothes. Rough sleepers confront these dilemmas daily and it is no wonder that many drift quickly into drinking and taking drugs. But this is a cycle which makes it virtually impossible to get off the street. Without an address and as an addict, you can’t get a job. Without money, you can’t get accommodation. Without accommodation, you don’t have an address… It is a downward spiral.

This is why Off The Fence works hard to get rough sleepers off the street within 2-3 weeks, to prevent this cycle of addiction which is so hard to break. They provide signposting to key services such as healthcare, foodbanks, job agencies, and mental health counsellors, as well as providing, among other things, showers, clothes washing, and some food. Roedean has been consistently amazing in helping to provide food. Some have said it is the best food they have ever eaten. They are honestly amazingly grateful and it helps them with one of their key needs.

Please do spare a thought for the homeless, particularly during the coming months, when you hear the wind and rain lashing on your window as you settle into bed. The rough sleepers have many complex reasons for ending up on the street, but they never wanted to end up there, and many can’t see a way out. I felt guilty, as I walked home, that I had a warm shower, bed, and food to go back to. It has, however, strengthened my resolve to do everything I can to help them in their situation.’

We hope that our contribution, however small, makes a positive difference to the homeless in Brighton and Hove. And we are proud of Mr Weir, for pushing himself beyond his comfort zone, to experience what a night is actually like for homeless.

Similar stories

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Most read

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech