Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Garden Party Reunion for the Class of 2020 and 2021

Garden Party Reunion for the Class of 2020 and 2021

It was wonderful to welcome back to Roedean the Year 13 Leavers from the Class of 2020 and 2021.
27 Sep 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

The reunion started with formal proceedings in the Chapel, during which the Leavers crossed the ‘stage’ to loud applause. They also had the chance to sing two of the School’s favourite hymns, Jerusalem, and I Vow To Thee, My Country, which they hadn’t been able to do for the past 18 months.

Afterwards, everyone enjoyed canapés and bubbles in the Cloisters, where they were able to catch up with their teachers and share stories of their experiences after Roedean. It really was a memorable event, which everyone enjoyed immensely.

Review of the Year for the Garden Party Reunion by Shan Low (No.2, 2018-2020)

‘First of all, I wanted to welcome you all to this memorable reunion. It is so nice to see so many familiar faces and to be back here at Roedean finally. I am so thrilled to be here today to share with you my memories of Roedean and how it has shaped my path at university studying Architecture.

One thing I can assure you is that at the end of this, the experience we will take home from Roedean will be worth the time spent here and always will be treasured. The class of 2020 departed Roedean over a year ago… It was definitely a rollercoaster, but despite all of that we built lifelong friendships and connections from these ups and downs. This past year or so has definitely been a challenging one for many of us… With so many changes in our lives.

Some of us had the opportunity to attend university in person, some went completely online, and some of us did half in person and half online. Regardless of the situation, I believe that many of us have tried to make the most of it. Studying Architecture online was not easy, but I was given tasks and challenges that really pushed me to think outside the box. When it came to designing a building there were a lot more considerations about how to incorporate a covid-friendly lifestyle.

As a student, one of the most positive changes I have witnessed was making lockdown friends online – students from different countries and regions connecting and forming friendships. Online classes have given us the opportunity to try new things. Some of the girls have said that they learnt how to cook different cuisines, and others have taken the time to learn about financing and budgeting. I feel that this environment really pushed our minds to do different things that we usually would not have time to explore. I even started a small business of selling artisanal candles, learnt how to bake Basque burnt cheesecake, picked up crocheting, started puzzling, playing scrabble and chess virtually.

But aside from all the random hobbies I picked up in first year, one of the biggest differences I felt since leaving Roedean was that I didn’t have any of my teachers as a familiar support system. But having lived here for two years of my life and been surrounded by so many inspirational people, I carried forward that sense of independence and positivity into university life. And on that note, I would like to thank my teachers and housemistresses as I didn’t get the opportunity to do so in person last year. On behalf of fellow students and myself, I like to express our appreciation and thanks to all our teachers and the whole team at Roedean for all their support and guidance, and for being a very important part of our lives! It has been an honour being at Roedean.’

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was int… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech