Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > The June Roedean Round Up

The June Roedean Round Up

A round up of news and achievements from Roedean this month.
23 Jun 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

Duke of Edinburgh Bronze and Silver Expeditions

Well done to all those in Year 9 who did their Duke of Edinburgh’s Bronze Award expedition this month. The weekend started wet, but it went very well, and they all passed, which is brilliant!

‘DofE was an experience to remember! We laughed, we cried, we trespassed, and, luckily, we survived! I really enjoyed stepping out of my comfort zone in so many different ways, and exploring the countryside around Roedean for four days was such a unique experience that I never would have had if I hadn’t done DofE!’ – Isis (Year 9)

Congratulations also to 42 students in Year 10 who successfully completed their Silver Duke of Edinburgh 3-day expedition. Not only is this expedition a gruelling challenge at the best of times, but the very hot weather meant that it was even more so – everyone did brilliantly to work together and support each other, and they all deserve to be very proud of what they have achieved!

“Well-being Wednesday”

Once all students completed their end of year exams the entire school body enjoyed a morning of activities, including Zumba in the sunshine, and a relaxing nature walk, as well as talks on nutrition and managing anxiety. Year 7 students and tutors also took part in a collective act of memory to mark every life lost to Covid in the UK, by creating a temporary memorial. It was a lovely opportunity to do some things which are very different to normal school activities.

Year 7 girls loving playing Cricket

Year 7 cricketers have been hard at work this month. Having not played in a while, they quickly got rid of the cobwebs and are now really striding forward. Batting, bowling and fielding drills, and games are focusing on them getting into really good habits, and testing their cricket knowledge and rules associated with the game. The girls were also thrilled that fixtures started again this month, and they are performing really well.

Six Roedean Golds in the BPhO Junior Physics Challenge

Congratulations to ten Roedean students in Years 10 and 8 who took part in the Junior BPhO Physics Challenge. The students did amazingly, and every one of them achieved an award! There were 6171 entrants nationally, and just the top 14% achieved Gold awards – and this included 6 students from Roedean. Well done!

Summer Seaside Showcase

After over an entire year of no live concerts, it was brilliant to be able to see our musicians performing to a live audience this month. Not even the humid atmosphere in the Theatre, the need for very careful placement of the performers in order to maintain social distancing, and the audience having to wear masks throughout could dampen anyone’s spirits! Our performers did so well, particularly considering that they are out of performance practice, and everyone who took part deserves to be thoroughly congratulated. Thank you also to their teachers and the Music Department, who masterminded such an ambitious programme. Director of Music, Veronica Fewkes, will be leaving Roedean after 29 years of exceptional service, and we are all absolutely delighted that after the year that we have been through, she had the opportunity to go out on a massive high. She will be sincerely missed, and it was lovely that the girls were able to give her a surprise musical send-off, with a sneakily prepared rendition of ‘The Wind Beneath My Wings’, including the line ‘did you ever know that you’re my hero’ – what a perfect tribute!

News Girls Day

A very special New Girls Day was held on the afternoon of Wednesday 23 June, heralding the gradual return to events with parents in attendance. The sun shone in abundance whilst over 70 girls completed a Treasure Hunt across the School grounds in their fantastic House t-shirts, and then finished the afternoon with a fabulous Bollywood Workshop against the backdrop of a sparkling blue sea. Meanwhile, over 120 parents visited Roedean Theatre, all the while following COVID protocols, for presentations from staff, followed by afternoon tea on the lawns to watch the Bollywood performance. The comments received since from some happy parents, sum up the atmosphere!

“What a fabulous day! An outstanding effort from all concerned”

“…it was perfect, quite original”

Year 13 Leavers on the i360

Our Year 13 students officially left Roedean on Friday 18 June, and, although their leavers’ event was not able to go ahead exactly as planned, 55 students enjoyed a wonderful flight, within their bubble, on the iconic i360. It was pouring with rain when they arrived, but the weather cleared for the duration of their flight and they were lucky to get some wonderful views from the top. They were delighted to be able to have a formal event to round off their year, and for the opportunity to dress up and enjoy each other’s company. We look forward to seeing them again soon, and wish them the best of luck in the future!

Please scroll down for a photo gallery of highlights from the 2020/21 academic year.

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech