Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Roedean's new volunteer Lay Chaplain

Roedean's new volunteer Lay Chaplain

27 Apr 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

We are delighted to welcome to Roedean our new volunteer Lay Chaplain, Mandy Marshall Taylor. Mandy will meet with girls from each year-group, as well as members of staff, over the coming weeks up to half-term, to discuss the different beliefs of those in our community. She is interested in finding out the girls’ thoughts about the spiritual life of Roedean, regardless of specific religions or faiths. Below are some of our Sixth Form student’s thoughts following their meeting with her;

‘Faith is about including everybody, whatever part of the journey they’re on. We discussed having a gathering that is open to questions about God or life, prayer requests and just loving everyone who walks in the door, no strings attached.’ Jemima (Yr12)

‘I felt completely at ease with her – she was so approachable and outgoing, which I think will be a great asset to the community! I think the role of being a chaplain, as well as taking on more of a pastoral role, will be so beneficial to the whole student body, but especially those who are Christians, and those who may not get the support in their faith at home that they would want. As well as this, I think the boarders, who may not be able to go to their usual churches, will have such a great experience being able to talk to someone on site who genuinely cares about their journey of faith too.’ Alex (Yr13)

‘I really enjoyed speaking with the Lay Chaplain, and hearing about her ideas for what she could bring to Roedean’s spiritual community. It was really nice to speak about what Chapel at Roedean represents for me as a Quaker, and hear about other girls’ thoughts as well. I am really looking forward to seeing where this will go in the near future.’ Lucy (Yr12)

Mandy is keen to explore the common ground between different faiths with the girls, and this is a very exciting development at Roedean.

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech