Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Roedean's Festival Celebrating Women 2021

Roedean's Festival Celebrating Women 2021

15 Mar 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
School News

To mark International Women’s Day 2021, Roedean was thrilled to hold its annual Festival Celebrating Inspiring Women on 8 March.

The School was delighted to welcome a diverse group of eighteen speakers to this year’s virtual event, including two OR’s, who spoke on a range of topics ranging from Egyptology and architectural engineering, from installation art to insect ecology, and from space exploration to girls’ education in Africa. Our founding Lawrence sisters would doubtless be very proud to see such a range of impressive, positive and successful female role models addressing our students.

The remote format of the event worked very well, and it meant that we were able to welcome a wide range of excellent speakers, and both girls and staff clearly enjoyed the event.

‘I just wanted to say that I personally thought that yesterday's International Women’s Day was the best one ever. I was particularly inspired and impressed by Dr Suzie Imber and Dr Aisling Swaine. Suzie's sense of adventure really resonated with me, and I could really relate to Aisling's efforts to help less fortunate people, as well as their own personal journeys towards the career and life they wanted. As always, Helen Richardson-Walsh spoke so well about her challenges and achievements. I really admire her resilience when faced with challenges.’ Maria (Yr10)

Many of the speakers have been in touch to say how engaged the girls were and that their questions were interesting and perceptive.

I thoroughly enjoyed speaking to the students and I was so very impressed by their engagement and enthusiasm, and the creativity and thoughtfulness of the questions!’ Serena Kern

We were delighted that it was possible to host this event, and that we were joined by students from Roedean South Africa, and Roedean Academy students from four state schools in the local area. It was a brilliant day, and we hope that everyone was able to take something incredibly positive away from it.

For more information about the event speakers, please see below.

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech