Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Happy New Year and welcome 'back' to Roedean!

Happy New Year and welcome 'back' to Roedean!

20 Jan 2021
School News

Happy New Year, and welcome ‘back’ to Roedean after the Christmas holidays. The UK is again in national lockdown, the School has been told to close its doors once more, and many exams have been cancelled. Although we are returning to remote online learning, Roedean is in a strong position, safe in the knowledge that we have done this before, highly effectively and successfully.

The girls are still receiving an excellent all-round education, with a range of co-curricular activities and fun challenges to complement their academic work. Keeping fit and active, as well as time away from screens is so important, and with this in mind each week our PE department will be setting challenges in running, walking and cycling. The School will also continue to deliver high-quality pastoral support and care. The weekly timetable also includes Chapel, Tutor Periods and a House Meeting, so the girls' day mimics as closely as possible life at Roedean in person.

It has been wonderful to see everyone, albeit through screens, and the girls are enjoying being back together and supporting each other. Our Friday Chapel services for the whole School are a fantastic opportunity for us all to be together. We hope that we will be able to welcome everyone back before too long, but in the meantime, wish everyone in the Roedean Community well - and stay safe.

Reflections from students on what 2020 has taught them, and their hopes for 2021.

´At first glance, 2020 seemed like a terrible year, but it’s well hidden silver lining brought with it a whole host of new interests, hobbies, talents, and experiences. Although I can’t say I enjoyed it, I discovered that when the world is at its darkest, hope still shines through. I now know never to dismiss things or take things for granted. For 2021, I’m looking forward to a chance to overcome the challenges of working from home and hopefully get back to normal soon.' Daisy (Yr7)

´2020 has been a year of struggles and hardships, but also endurance, independence, and growth. It taught us that every day should be appreciated, from spending time with family on walks or playing games, to the NHS clap, together we have made our communities stronger. It was a difficult year, and we are still in very hard times, but I know 2021 will be the year when we get to hug our loved ones again. We have each other and, although times may be hard, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.' Kate (Yr12)

Similar stories

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstan… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

A glorious Spring Gala Concert. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Most read

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Old Roedeanians Association

Subscribe here for the printed version of the Old Roedeanians' Magazine - the 2023 issue published in February 2024 More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech