Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae News > OR Amber Anning Wins Bronze at the World Championships

OR Amber Anning Wins Bronze at the World Championships

A phenomenal performance from Amber Anning at the World Athletics Championships in Budapest.
13 Sep 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae News

This year’s World Athletics Championships saw Amber Anning (No.2, 2012-17), play a pivotal role in the success of the British women’s 4x400m relay team, securing a bronze medal. Amber and her teammates were incredible in the final event and achieved Team GB’s second-quickest time ever at 3:21.04.

Delivering the fastest split among her teammates during the qualifying rounds the night before, Amber built on this performance, following up with a fierce battle in the final with the Dutch as they chased down Jamaican sprinter Janieve Russell.  

The team continued to hold their ground and pushed through to the very end, in what really was an astounding race.

“I knew the second leg was going to be the strongest. I wanted to go out there and run similar to how I did in the heats. I wanted to get us in a good position and help Nicole and Ama. It was fun. Watching the boys get the bronze gave me so much energy. I knew we could do it, and I am just so proud of the girls who brought it home.” 

- Amber Anning 

Amber, who is currently based in the USA, is a student at the University of Arkansas and is a member of their Razorback track team. She holds numerous age group records, and her personal best is the third fastest time ever run indoors by a British woman!

Mrs Herridge, Amber’s teacher from Roedean, said,

“It was so good to see that the sacrifices she has made along with her continued dedication have come together. She was absolutely amazing; I have always hoped to see her on the big screen and as always was in awe of her running, she really was fantastic!”

Watch Amber's interview just after the race here 

Similar stories

Catching up with friends, old and new. More...

OR and students netballers hit the court for an exciting and nail-biting match. More...

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

Calling OR Artists to enter the Roedean Art Exhibition More...

Eugenia Cheng is shortlisted for LA Times Book Prize for her latest book 'Is Maths Real?' More...

Most read

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Catching up with friends, old and new. More...

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech