Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > The Tatler Schools Guide 2019

The Tatler Schools Guide 2019

Read Roedean's review in the Tatler Schools Guide 2019
14 Mar 2019
School News
Roedean reports a ‘dramatic’ increase in applications of late. It could be the exodus of families leaving London for Brighton, or the chaperoned trains to and from the capital for weekly boarders, which have been a big success. Alternatively, prospective parents may be swayed by the compelling head Oliver Blond (‘I really look forward to his addresses,’ admits one fan), or the smart renovations he’s instigated to facilities. Or it could simply be that everyone’s cottoned on that Roedean, with its stunning clifftop views and welcoming atmosphere, is a lovely place to live and learn. ‘I am actually jealous when I drop my daughter off there every day,’ a mother admits to us. With more applications comes increased competition. However a parent is pleased to note that Mr Blond ‘seems to focus on the individual rather than academic results and doesn’t feel the need to shout about success.’ So we’ll do it for him – Roedean reported its best GCSE results ever last year (50 per cent A*), though A-levels are down a smidge at 80 per cent A*–B. Pastoral care is ‘exceptional’ says one mother: ‘Any issue that a child has is taken seriously.’ ‘I felt more at home at Roedean after one term than at my prep school after five years,’ a pupil confides. ‘No cliques, no atmosphere... Considering it’s all girls, everyone gets on so well.’

Click here for the article in The Tatler Schools Guide 2019

Similar stories

OR's pause for a photo at the London lunch

On the 9th September 2016 OR's visited the Sloane Club in London for this year's London lunch. More...

The story of a house and its inhabitants over a hundred years – told by the house More...

Read about OR Katherine Daniels (née Rich, No. 2, 1988-95) and her experience of editing and publishing her late husband… More...

World Book Day was celebrated at Roedean with an extravaganza of literary events held throughout the week. More...

Most read

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Old Roedeanians Association

Subscribe here for the printed version of the Old Roedeanians' Magazine - the 2023 issue published in February 2024 More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech