Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae News > 100 day adventure kitesurfing the British Coastline

100 day adventure kitesurfing the British Coastline

Kitesurfing the British Coastline to raise awareness of how important our oceans are to us, the problem of plastic marine litter and to inspire the next generation of kitesurfers.
26 Apr 2018
Alumnae News
This April, Islay Symonette (No. 1, 1997 – 2003) – a kitesurf and sailing instructor, and Stew Edge – whose previous achievements include summiting Everest, as well as sailing the Atlantic twice, launched Kite Britain, a 100 day adventure to become the first people to circumnavigate Great Britain by kitesurfing.

The 3000 mile adventure starts in Hull and will see the pair kiting clockwise around the British coastline, kiting anything from between 20-40 miles a day depending on tides and wind-conditions, connecting with local kite clubs along the way. They will be flying the latest in foil and LEI kites kindly provided by Peter Lynn Kiteboarding and will have a 45ft liveaboard support boat as they travel around the coast.

Islay says: ‘Despite living in England for the last 16 years, I've not seen the white cliffs of Dover, I've never been to John-o-Groats, and I've not eaten a deep fried mars bar. All things on a typical British bucket list. This adventure will show me the country from a unique perspective; sure there'll be challenges, but they'll be outnumbered by the experiences and people we meet along the way. Someone once took the time to teach me to kite, and this has sparked this journey, I hope it in turn will inspire others to start their own kiting journey, and who knows what fun they'll find.’

As well as the challenge of becoming the first to complete the endeavour, the pair are setting out to raise £100,000 for two charities close to their hearts – the Armada Trust and the Marine Conservation Society. Sponsored by Peter Lynn Kites, Suunto, Helly Hansen, Salcombe Distilling Company and Ribeye, with current support from Blueberry Wave, the pair are making their final arrangements and welcoming sponsorship opportunities.

To find out more about Kite Britain visit www.kitebritain.com and to follow the adventure on Facebook visit www.facebook.com/kitebritain.

Similar stories

OR Caitlin Boyland (No.1, 2006-2011) achieves gold in BUCS rowing championship. More...

Yang-May giving a talk for TEDx

Yang-May Ooi will be at Shoreham Wordfest to talk about her recently published book 'Bound feet Blues' More...

Thirty former pupils surround Mrs Stanway in appreciation of her time at Roedean

A small summary as well as photos from Mrs Stanway's retirement dinner More...

Read about OR Katherine Daniels (née Rich, No. 2, 1988-95) and her experience of editing and publishing her late husband… More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech