Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Noo Saro-Wiwa

10 Questions with...Noo Saro-Wiwa

This month we were delighted to chat with our Speech Day Guest Speaker, travel writer and author, Noo Saro-Wiwa.
1 Jul 2024
Alumnae Interviews

Noo Saro-Wiwa (No.3, 1986-94) is an award-winning author and travel writer. She was born in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, and raised in England. Following her time at Roedean, she went on to attend King’s College London and Columbia University in New York.

Her first book, Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria, was selected as BBC Radio 4’s Book of the Week in 2012, and was named The Sunday Times Travel Book of the Year, 2012. The book was shortlisted for numerous other awards as well as winning the Albatros Travel Literature Prize in Italy in 2016. Her second book, Black Ghosts: A Journey Into the Lives of Africans in China, was published in 2023 and was listed as one of the Financial Times Travel Books of 2023.

Noo currently writes for Condé Nast Traveller and was named as on one “The World’s 30 Most Influential Female Travellers”

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

About twenty of us sitting in the Lawrence House common room and singing in unison to the soulful falsetto of the Bodyform TV advert jingle. These things only happen at boarding school.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given while at School?

Various PE teachers telling me to stretch before doing exercises. I often ignored their advice at the time, but now that I’m approaching 50 and still playing netball, it’s vital that I stretch if I want to make it off the court in one piece.

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

Up until age 16 I sustained those parent-pleasing delusions of becoming a doctor. By the sixth form I didn’t have a singular ambition but I had a strong interest in human geography and knew I wanted to travel.

4. What are you now you’ve grown up?

I’m an author, and a staff writer for Condé Nast Traveller magazine.

5. What does your job involve?

Travelling to destinations around the world, reviewing hotels and restaurants, writing feature stories and editing the other articles in the magazine. I also interview people – one of my most recent ones was with Michael Palin. 

6. What have you done that you are most proud of? 

Writing books despite having ADHD. My English teacher, Mrs Larkin, noticed my attention deficit issues in the sixth form, but I only finally addressed the issue this year and received a diagnosis. 

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island? 

I can’t live without music and writing material, so I would take a solar-powered MP3 player and laptop. And sliders – I don’t like walking barefoot on non-sandy surfaces.

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

As a teenager, Nabokov’s Lolita sparked my love of prose; Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs and Steel taught me the importance of understanding the world from a multi-disciplinary perspective; and Martin Fletcher’s journalistic travelogue Almost Heaven planted the seed that led to me becoming a non-fiction author.

9. What is on your bucket list?
Writing more books; honing my photography skills; building a school (virtual or physical) in my ancestral village in Ogoniland, Nigeria. 

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do? 

Be an undercover philanthropist. I’d travel the world, chat to lots of people and identify who’s most deserving of financial help. 

Similar stories

We talked to Zerbanoo about her incredible work as a human rights campaigner and how she set up the educational and charity retreat, the ASHA Centre. More...

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama depart… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

Most read

A drone tour of the school

A cracking view on a cracking day of the school More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech