Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Angela Yang

10 Questions with...Angela Yang

This month we spoke to Angela about her incredible job at the International Olympic Committee, and how writing for a tennis magazine during her time at Roedean helped her on her way.
11 Dec 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Angela Yang (No 1, 2004-06), started her career in a bank after studying Economics and Law at university, but after several years, she decided to pursue her goal of working in sports marketing. Following a move to New York for seven years, she is now working in her dream job, as a Partnership Manager at the International Olympic Committee, based in Switzerland.

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

The simple daily life, walking around the beautiful campus, having lively conversation around dinner tables with friends, with so many diverse backgrounds and ideas, not to mention over an amazing food selection.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

As a non-religious person, I really enjoyed going to the chapel. While this is not a specific piece of advice, this ritual got me into the habit of practicing reflection and gratefulness.

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

I took weekly tennis lessons and started writing for a tennis magazine in China when I was at Roedean, as a “free” way to go to Wimbledon. I remember coming back from Wimbledon one year, and everyone was telling me they saw me being interviewed on the BBC to discuss the rise of Chinese tennis! This planted the seed for me that I want to work in sports one day. 

4. What are you now you’ve grown up? 

I’m currently a Partnership Manager at the International Olympic Committee based in Lausanne, Switzerland.

5. What does your job involve?

I look after the relationships with some of the IOC’s TOP partners. This is the highest level of Olympic sponsorship, and the revenue funds the Olympic Movement globally. I oversee, manage, and nurture these relationships to ensure the partners’ contractual rights are met, strengthen the value proposition of the Olympic and Paralympic Movement, and grow the Movement together with our partners. Right now, we are in countdown mode to the Paris 2024 Games, and we have a lot of work to do, but everyone is very excited for the first post pandemic Games, with some spectacular landmarks as backdrops and venues!

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

Having the guts to switch my career and moving to different countries to pursue my dream. After Roedean, I followed a traditional route of studying Economics and Law at university before getting a job at a bank. A few years into the job, I decided to seriously pursue my goal of working in sports marketing, which took me to New York for 7 years and now to Lausanne earlier this year, to start at my dream job at the IOC.

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

My running shoes, my sun lotion, and family photos.

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

Harry Potter series….that led me to applying for a British boarding school when I was considering studying abroad. Sometimes when people ask me for a fun fact about myself, I will say I went to a British boarding school with four houses, and my house colour was green! (House 1). Career wise, Shoe Dog, the autobiography of Nike founder Phil Knight, made me really appreciate the philosophy and history behind the iconic brand. The ghost-writer is actually my favourite writer, who also wrote Andre Agassi and Prince Harry’s books.

9. What is on your bucket list?

Running all six marathon majors, 4 down, 2 to go.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

Invest in women’s sports: part ownership of a women’s sports team, support a women’s sport foundation, and fund some TV programming to give women’s sports more airtime…but just taking a break and travel with my family would be very nice too.

Similar stories

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was integral to her experience at Roe… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

We talked to Funmbi about her career as an architect, the valuable advice she received growing up, and the feeling of un… More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech