Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Philippa Delamere-Wright

10 Questions with...Philippa Delamere-Wright

This month we talked to Philippa Delamere-Wright about her incredible career in the British Army, her love of animals, and the amazing work she does to support positive mental well-being.
2 Sep 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Philippa Delamere-Wright (Tattersall, No.1, 1988-93) made history when she became the first female to complete the All-Arms Commando Course and win the coveted green beret. After spending 17 years in the army, she now runs an outdoor woodland centre and community interest company. Pip’s most recent challenge took her to the Canadian wilderness as part of the TV show Alone UK, which started on 6th August on Channel 4.  

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

Playing sport. I lived for the games on Saturdays, the highs, the lows, the teamwork, the weather ....it was a bit of everything. Afterwards, you just felt like you had given everything, I was always exhausted....so eating a tub of Häagen Dazs ice-cream and watching a film in the common room was the best way to end the day.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

Gosh, I'm not sure but I suspect that it would be to do with 'never let anyone tell you can't do something because you are a girl'.

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

I love animals and I feel at my best when helping people or animals.  I wanted to be a vet but my chemistry GCSE let me down.

4. What are you now you’ve grown up?

I spent 17 years as an officer in the British Army before retiring. I now run an outdoor woodland centre and a community interest company (CIC)) that provides outdoor-based activities to support positive mental well-being.

5. What does your job involve?

I work with adults and children outdoors. Bushcraft, foraging, campfire cooking, shelter building, willow weaving, wild swimming. We encourage children to be independent and curious. For the adults we introduce them to a range of activities, all outdoors that help them feel better physically and mentally.

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

I'm proud to have served in the British Army and looked after my soldiers whilst on operations.

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

Ha Ha - not the Canadian Wilderness? I'm going to have to be sensible here... a leather man multi tool (amazing bits of kit), a tarp (large tarpaulin sheet that's waterproof), and a life straw personal water filtration system.

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

I read Animals Of Farthing Wood when I was younger. The story is one of friendship and resilience. It also made me realise what a huge impact humans have on the environment, and I've always tried to be mindful of nature and the animals since.

9. What is on your bucket list?

Snowboarding under the midnight sun in Iceland.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

I'd take my husband, children, and dogs to visit all our family and friends around the world in a custom-made campervan.

Similar stories

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupboard started a love for vintage… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

Most read

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupbo… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Catching up with friends, old and new. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech