Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Tori Benzie

10 Questions with...Tori Benzie

This month we talked to Tori Benzie about her current job role in Australia, and how she would have never ended up at Roedean if it wasn't for Enid Blyton's Malory Towers series!
27 Apr 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Tori Benzie (No.3, 1989-94), currently leads Business Development across Australia and New Zealand. She talks to us about an exciting project she is working on and what lead her to first join Roedean!

1. What is your favorite memory of Roedean?

I loved playing sport at Roedean, so I have fond memories of playing lacrosse and swim training with Ms. Romonov. 

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

Ms.Manning, our no-nonsense maths teacher, was the only teacher that allowed us to mark our own tests. She would always say to the class ‘if you cheat then you’re only cheating yourself!’  It’s a life lesson that’s stuck with me.

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

I wanted to be a Musician. I studied music at University and after graduation, I landed a dream job working for Virgin Records. I spent the next 10 years of my career working for record companies before moving into Media, and most recently into the Tech industry.

4. What are you now you’ve grown up?

I lead Business Development for LinkedIn across Australia and New Zealand

5. What does your job involve?

LinkedIn’s vision is to create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce.  I work within the Content Experience team, whereby I am responsible for building strategic partnerships that connect the world’s professionals with the knowledge they need to be more productive and successful.

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

I am currently working on a project that aims to improve employment opportunities for First Nations Australians

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

I’ve been watching a lot of “Alone” recently - so I’d take fishing tackle, a pot to boil water and a satellite phone so I can call for help!

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

I would never have gone to Roedean if it hadn’t been for Enid Blyton’s Malory Towers series.  After reading the books (and dreaming of midnight feasts), I begged my parents to let me go to boarding school. Unfortunately, my love for midnight feasts was not appreciated by Mrs. Martin our Junior House headmistress, who lived directly under our Terracotta dorm room - we got sticks from St Nicholas that Christmas!

9. What is on your bucket list? 

A few years ago, my husband and I took a break from our careers and fulfilled one of our top bucket list items- becoming certified snowboard instructors. Unfortunately, our trip was interrupted by the pandemic but we're looking forward to restarting our adventure one day. The next destination on our list is India.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

Without a doubt, climate change presents the greatest challenge of our time. With unlimited budget I’d invest in the development of large-scale renewable energy infrastructure in every country in the world. This would enable us to eliminate our reliance on coal, oil, and gas, which are the biggest contributors to environmental degradation.

Similar stories

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupboard started a love for vintage… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

Most read

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupbo… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech