Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Anabela Chan

10 Questions with...Anabela Chan

This month it was wonderful to catch up with award-winning designer Anabela Chan. We were thrilled to have Anabela as one of the exhibiting artists at the Roedean London Art Exhibition.
30 Sep 2024
Alumnae Interviews

Anabela Chan (No.1, 1995-03) was born in Hong Kong where she lived to the age of 10 before attending Roedean School from age 11-18. She trained originally as an architect and worked for Sir Richard Rogers, before transitioning to fashion design for Alexander McQueen in London.  She subsequently completed her Master of Arts in Goldsmithing & Jewellery at the Royal College of Art, where she launched her eponymous fine jewellery brand on graduation, a decade ago. 

Anabela was named by Walpole as the 50 Most Influential People in British Luxury in 2022, and winner of the prestigious Game Changer Award in 2023 for innovators of British luxury – people, products and services which have demonstrated meaningful change within their sector, shifting the dial for a better future.

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

The view and the friendships. 

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

Mrs Stanway said to me, always be curious. Also always be brave to reach out - even the most prolific and famous artists are just people. 

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

I wanted to be a fashion designer, but I also secretly loved both the sciences and the arts, and didn’t quite know what career combined the two. I’m glad to say I’ve found it now and carved my own path. 

4. What are you now you’ve grown up? 

I founded the first fine jewellery brand in the world to champion laboratory-grown gemstones and recycled metals, paired with high jewellery designs and artisanal craftsmanship, always with a focus on sustainable innovations. 

I’m also a Visiting Lecturer at the Royal College of Art, and a Design & Innovation Ambassador for Great Britain. 

5. What does your job involve?

My job title is CEO and Creative Director - it entails both creative and business responsibilities - such as design innovation, artistic direction and creation, material science research & development, international business development and growth, and I oversee every aspect of the operations of a growing international luxury brand. 

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

Building a pioneering design and socially responsible business in the luxury sector that drives positive change for planet and people, whilst raising two wonderful, happy children who are now age 7 and 5. As women we are capable of everything and anything. 

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

A parasol to shield from the sun, my swimming costume and a bottomless hamper of drinks and food. 

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

The Art of The Good Life by Rolf Dobelli - how to train our mindset and perspective to see the good for the better, it changes everything. 

The Atlas of The Heart by Brene Brown - the importance of understanding and connecting with our emotions, and how to manage them for our well-being and happiness. 

9. What is on your bucket list?

Rather than keeping a bucket list, I like to be spontaneous and in the moment without overthinking; to do the things I want to do, go to the places I want to visit and experience. Life is too short to wait for the ‘perfect’ time in the future. 

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

I’ll travel to the most remote parts of the world with untouched nature, to experience the magic of our beautiful planet, to learn about local cultures and ways of life.  

I’d also build schools at every corner of the world where there is settlement, where all children attend for free.  

Education is the passport to the future, and the future belongs to those who prepare for it today.

anabelachan.com

instagram.com/anabelachan

Similar stories

This month we were delighted to chat with our Speech Day Guest Speaker, travel writer and author, Noo Saro-Wiwa. More...

We talked to Zerbanoo about her incredible work as a human rights campaigner and how she set up the educational and char… More...

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama depart… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

Most read

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech