Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions With ... Leona Adesanya and Ify Ike-Nwabuoku

10 Questions With ... Leona Adesanya and Ify Ike-Nwabuoku

In a special double interview, Leona and Ify recall their favourite Roedean memories and talk about running a card company together.

Leona Adesanya (2003-10) and Ify Ike-Nwabuoku (2007-14) consider their time at Roedean to have been a milestone for them both. They are now continuing their Roedean connection as business partners, running their successful card company Anoela Cards. You can read more about the company in our OR Business Directory here.

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean? 

Leona: I think my favourite memory would have to be a toss-up between the Tuck Shop which brought me so much joy, or the friends I made, some of whom are still my best friends to date, 20 years later.

Ify: I basically have the same answer as Leona. The friends that I made at Roedean are still the closest people to me. Being a boarder was just full of excitement, every single day literally felt like a sleepover with your best friends. If I had to choose one moment it would probably be in U3.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School? 

L: To always ask questions, especially when I’m unsure about something, no matter how obvious the answer may seem to be.

I: To have a bigger picture in mind and know what I’m working towards

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

L: I wanted to be an artist or an animator

I: An inventor!

4. What are you now you’ve grown up? 

L: I’m the CEO of a greeting cards company and I’m also a sneaker-artist

I: I’m the COO of the very same greeting cards company.

5. What does your job involve? 

L: It involves, creating fun designs and concepts for greeting cards and managing an incredible group of young, inspiring creatives

I: It’s truly a bit of everything and varies a lot day-to-day. It can range from designing cards to customer service and everything in between. We have a tiny team and are all very hands on.

6. What have you done that you are most proud of? 

L: Helping our business survive the pandemic, when all of the odds were stacked against us and there was so much uncertainty

I: Being a functioning adult in general!

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island? 

L: A top of the line mini compact water filtration system, my laptop and a portable wifi dongle

I: A Kindle with thousands of books pre-downloaded, a solar powered charger for the kindle, and a self sharpening knife.

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why? 

L: The Bible and Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Both books have had a significant impact on my life, especially because they both contain encouraging stories that I can relate to during different seasons of my life. They’ve both taught me the importance of perspective, and regarding the business side of things, they’ve both impacted my management style in a positive way.

I: One of my favourite books of all time is Ender’s Game. The ending really stuck with me - The message that I got from it was about how different perspectives can completely change a situation and you cannot judge anything from a one-dimensional lens. Another book that similarly affected the outlook on like is The Shack, which similarly questions the thought process behind the judgements that we make and tackles huge topics such as faith and forgiveness. 

9. What is on your bucket list? 

L: To travel to as many countries around the world as possible. To skydive indoors.

I: I would love to learn glass blowing, and to see as many countries as possible - definitely every African country.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do? 

L: I would travel around the world, donate to as many charitable organisations and non-profits as possible and lastly, I would spoil my friends and family

I: I would take everybody that I loved on a very very long vacation spanning the globe and leaving everybody that we come across much more well-off than we find them.

Similar stories

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupboard started a love for vintage… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

Most read

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupbo… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech