Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 questions with...a Mother's Day Special!

10 questions with...a Mother's Day Special!

To celebrate Mother's Day, we were delighted to speak with 3 generations of ORs about their time at Roedean.
21 Mar 2022
Written by Harriet de Bene
Alumnae Interviews

We were pleased to speak with OR Mary Goddard (Scott, No. 3, 1984-89), her mother Sue Scott (May, No. 3, 1946-53), and her daughters Eloise and Jemima Goddard (Keswick, 2016-21) about their favourite memories of Roedean and how they celebrated Mother’s Day this year!

What are your favourite memories of Roedean?

Eloise and Jemima - Giggling with our friends!

Sue – One of my favourite memories is of lots of alarms clocks being hidden behind books in the ref which were set to go off at 5-minute intervals during the end of term staff meeting!

Mary – The Christmas decs on Study Passage

Do you have favourite stories that your Mum shared with you about her time at Roedean?

Eloise and Jemima – The leavers day dares…such as painting the main school steps purple and yellow for Speech Day, and the ‘policeman’ who burst into leavers assembly and started stripping…

Mary - I remember Mum telling me about having to stand outside matrons’ room at 7am to have her temperature taken - every day for 3 weeks at the beginning of every term. And being taken off to San for 2 days on her second day at Roedean with a supposed temperature when there was nothing wrong with her!

What do you feel are the differences and similarities in your experiences?

We all remember the weather! Being blown about on the sports pitches and trying to shut the outside door to the house in a howling Gale! As well as Handshaking, calling teachers Madam, the Chapel and Cloisters, and running down the House stairs.

Eloise and Jemima - There are certainly some differences, such as the interior design of the boarding houses, and the bathrooms/showers.

Mary and Sue – The girls no longer being woken up every day with the ringing of the awful hand bell! Also, the introduction of day girls, the Astro and relaxation of boarding rules.

What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at school?

G squared D, (Grits, Guts and Determination), make the most of your opportunities and actions speak louder than words. 

And finally, how did you all celebrate Mother’s Day this year?

Jemima – I was backpacking in Peru and climbed Machu Picchu.

Eloise - I was at Edinburgh Uni and climbed Arthur’s Seat.

Mary and Sue – We celebrated together with Sunday lunch at home.

Similar stories

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was integral to her experience at Roe… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

This month we spoke to Angela about her incredible job at the International Olympic Committee, and how writing for a ten… More...

Most read

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was int… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech