Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with....OR Judith Ng

10 Questions with....OR Judith Ng

September's monthly alumnae interview is with the talented Judith Ng (No.1, 1998-2003), who is an Associate Architect at Spacelab.
21 Sep 2021
Written by Harriet de Bene
Alumnae Interviews

Judith’s most notable work includes Boden’s 90,000 sqft head office, which won a Regional BCO Award for ‘Best refurbished workplace’, as well as being shortlisted in the AJ Retrofit Awards, FX Awards and Design Week Awards. She also oversaw the major reworking of Warner Bros.' 150,000 sqft London home, spread across 9 floors and accommodating 1,000 team members. Judith is also an Examiner at the University of Westminster for the Architecture Professional Practice RIBA Part 3 course.

What is your favourite memory of Roedean?
So many good memories and great vibes came to mind – working in the main school Art studio and the DT centre with the radio on, playing tennis in summer term until sunset, DofE expedition in France! But most of all, it is the friends I have made. Many are still my good friends and we message each other frequently even though many of us don’t live in the same country.

What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?
Maybe not a single piece of advice, but I was always encouraged to try new things, explore my interests and perhaps push myself beyond my comfort zone a little. I have since developed a ‘nothing ventured, nothing gained’ approach which has motivated and propelled me to experience whatever life has to offer.

When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?
I remember pondering about becoming a ceramic designer/ potter in Sixth form as I really enjoyed working with clay. But I soon realised I really like being part of a team and being an artist would have been too lonely for me. In the meantime, I realised my interest in design and problem solving would translate well into a career as an Architect where creative design solutions would make a positive difference and add value to people’s lives.

What are you now you've grown up?
An Architect. I have been chartered for 10 years and my portfolio of work focuses on the commercial as well as the hospitality sector in and around London. In recent years, my projects are drawing a focus on retrofitting existing buildings (in oppose to demolition and rebuild) which I enjoy as they are usually more challenging. It is also an effective way to reduce carbon emission. As an industry we are trying to focus on less waste, more reuse.

What does your job involve?
Depending on the type and the stage of the projects. At the inception stage, I could be leading some research interviews, workshops and surveys to collect data that will form the bases of our design recommendation. During design stages, I could be the design lead and coordinate between the wider consultant team. There are also creative review sessions with my Architect and Interior designer colleagues to discuss design ideas and technical details. During the construction stage, I could be visiting construction sites to carry out visual inspections and to coordinate the build with the construction team.

What have you done that you are most proud of?
It has to be hearing the positive feedbacks directly from our clients and the end-users of the spaces we have designed and delivered. As a practise, we have been advocates of agile working for 20 years. It is a lovely feeling to know that our design solutions have successfully transformed spaces and working cultures for the better.

What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?
Phone with Wi-Fi, Fridge full of cold beverages and ice cream, Sunglasses.

What books have had a significant influence on you and why?
I must confess I do not read a lot / don’t have time to read other than work related publications. (I am yet to finish the book Sapiens which was my last official book purchase!) However, I do buy a lot of children books and read them with my kids as I quite enjoy the graphics myself! My 6-year-old son and I recently enjoyed this book  This is how we do it: One day in the lives of seven kids from around the world by Matt Lamothe.

What is on your bucket list?
Travelling around the world! Climb Machu Picchu, go see the Great Migrations, learn to surf on Waikiki beach and many more. I would like to see more nature, experience new cultures and enjoy some good food!

If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?
Make a start on my bucket list and invite my family and friends along. In between trips, I will build a sustainable eco house in London (which probably I will not complete within a year!).

A huge thank you to Judith for letting us chat to her for our September monthly alumnae interview! 

Have you got an inspiring OR in mind you think we should interview next? Let us know at alumnae@roedean.co.uk.

Similar stories

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was integral to her experience at Roe… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

This month we spoke to Angela about her incredible job at the International Olympic Committee, and how writing for a ten… More...

Most read

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech