Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Roedean is back!

Roedean is back!

After twenty-four weeks of absence, online learning, and lockdown, Roedean is finally back on site and absolutely delighted to welcome all of our students!
21 Sep 2020
School News
Roedean is back!
Roedean is back!

It marks an end to the longest period of absence from the Roedean site since the Second World War. During the summer staff have been busy working to make the school ‘COVID Secure’, and we are proud to support the BSA’s COVID-Safe Charter. This is a valuable and reassuring initiative, demonstrating that the School has taken all reasonable steps and undertaken rigorous planning to ensure the safety of our students and staff.

The principles of a COVID-Secure School and Working Environment are designed to make everyone in our community feel safe and comfortable at Roedean;

• To ensure that all pupils continue to receive a high-quality education
  • To create an environment where it is safe for everyone to return to School
  • To keep people secure, and avoid contact with people who are unwell
  • To ensure that effective protective measures for girls and staff are in place
  • To follow all statutory guidance and best practice
  • To reduce the number of contacts between individuals during the school day
  • To ensure control systems are in place to reduce the risk of transmission
  • To reduce contact with people outside the school community

As we begin the new term at Roedean, there are many new rules and measures to follow for staff and pupils, and we are supporting each other to adapt to our new environment. Despite these new restrictions and changes to the school day, the buzz, enthusiasm and community spirit remains the same, and it is lovely to once again be able to offer on-site and in-person learning.

In the first chapel service of the academic year, Eden (Yr 13) one of the school’s Head Girls, reflects on her experiences last term, and what she is looking forward to over the coming year.

Hello everyone – welcome back! The last couple of months have been a whirlwind. For those of us who were at Roedean in March, some big events took place. We had World Book Day, International Women’s Day, our annual school musical, a gala concert, and then, last but not least, a global pandemic. After School closed, I missed my friends and talking to my teachers face-to-face, but actually, what I ended up missing most over lockdown, turned out to be really little things that make Roedean special, like having a chat to the dinner ladies at lunchtime or cracking a joke with my bus driver. These are all little moments that I think we take for granted in the craziness of daily life. So, this year I hope that we can all take some time to appreciate the little things that make us happy. Everything might feel a bit different due the restrictions at the moment but you will see that Roedean still has its quirks and to be honest, coronavirus would have to work a lot harder to get rid of them! So let’s have a fantastic year everyone, enjoying the little things that make Roedean our Roedean.

Please do have a look through the online gallery below which shows some images of the first day back at school, and some of the new signage around the School. And for more information on the School's principles, and prevention plan, for a Covid-Secure School, please see our publication below.

Photo gallery

To view this News Article

Similar stories

OR's pause for a photo at the London lunch

On the 9th September 2016 OR's visited the Sloane Club in London for this year's London lunch. More...

Thirty former pupils surround Mrs Stanway in appreciation of her time at Roedean

A small summary as well as photos from Mrs Stanway's retirement dinner More...

The story of a house and its inhabitants over a hundred years – told by the house More...

Read about OR Katherine Daniels (née Rich, No. 2, 1988-95) and her experience of editing and publishing her late husband… More...

Most read

The 2023 issue of the Old Roedeanians’ Magazine is now available online and for download, free of charge. More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was int… More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech