Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > School News > Les Miserables Star at Roedean

Les Miserables Star at Roedean

West End Star Charlotte Kennedy star held theatre workshops at the School for Year 9 and 10 pupils.
19 Nov 2019
School News
It was a great pleasure to welcome Charlotte Kennedy to Roedean to work with girls in Year 9 throughout the Dance and Drama work-shops. Charlotte made her professional West End debut in Les Misérables as Cosette, and has been in the show for 5 years.

It was a wonderful opportunity for the girls in Year 9 and 10, who worked with her in groups for 50 minutes rehearsing the blocking and performance of the song ‘At the end of the day’ from the hit musical. She also gave a masterclass at lunchtime to the Year 10 drama scholars.

Charlotte said it was tough to learn so much in one session, adding that the exercise was great for all pupils not just those who wanted a career on the stage.

She added: “This is about acting through song, which is not easy. I’ve seen the girls really blossom today and grow in confidence and that’s wonderful to witness. Often people think that if you didn’t start singing and dancing at an early age then you won’t end up doing it for a career but I didn’t really start until I was 15. Then I just fell in love with performing and that was that! I hope that by coming along to Roedean and talking about my career and how I got into the West End will inspire girls in whatever they hope to do – it’s about not giving up and realising that there will be lots of knock backs but it’s important to keep on going and accept that rejection is a part of your development.”

The workshops culminated in a short performance at the end of the day, with each group presenting the scene they had worked on to show what they had learnt. In addition, Bo, Charlie, Dorothea, and Jemima (Yr10) sang the show’s iconic song, ‘I dreamed a dream’, which was lovely.

At the end of the performance, Charlotte ran a Q&A with the girls, and she fielded some interesting questions about the industry she’s in, her favourite shows, auditions, and how difficult it can be to get a part. Well done to everyone involved, and thank you to Miss Markey and the Theatre Team.

Similar stories

OR's pause for a photo at the London lunch

On the 9th September 2016 OR's visited the Sloane Club in London for this year's London lunch. More...

The story of a house and its inhabitants over a hundred years – told by the house More...

Read about OR Katherine Daniels (née Rich, No. 2, 1988-95) and her experience of editing and publishing her late husband… More...

OR Saffron Amis takes on a 24-hour radio challenge to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society. More...

Most read

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech