Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Amber Anning

10 Questions with...Amber Anning

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was integral to her experience at Roedean.
26 Mar 2024
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Amber Anning (No.2, 2012-17) is a British athlete and record holder, most recently breaking the long-standing UK indoor 200m record. In 2023 Amber was part of the GB bronze medal winning women’s 4x400m relay squad at the World Athletics Championships in Budapest. Having relocated to America to compete at collegiate level with the ambition of becoming a professional athlete, Amber is in her final year of her degree and plans to stay in education to pursue a Master’s degree. 

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

One of the most cherished memories from my time at Roedean was participating in the House team competitions. Whether it was team sports day, intense netball matches, or taking part in the drama performances, I found immense joy in representing House 2 with a sense of pride. The House spirit was integral to my experience, fostering both competitiveness and camaraderie amongst all of us.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

The most valuable piece of advice I received was to never place limits on my potential and to persistently pursue excellence in both my academic pursuits and athletic endeavours.

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’? 

At the time, I didn't have a clear career path in mind, but one thing I was certain of was my dream to become a track and field Olympian and to work in a field where I could make a positive impact and give back to others.

4/5. What are you now you’ve grown up/What does your job involve?

I'm presently a student-athlete enrolled at the University of Arkansas in the United States. Approaching the end of my college  journey, I'm set to graduate this May with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations and Advertising, complemented by a minor in Psychology. I plan to continue to stay in education to pursue a Master's degree in Operational Management, supplemented by a certificate in Project Management. I aim to make the Olympic GB team for the 2024 Paris Games, with my ambition of becoming a professional athlete afterwards.

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

My most significant accomplishment was in 2019 when I made the life-changing decision to relocate to America to pursue higher education and compete at the collegiate level. Since then, I've achieved numerous milestones both on and off the track. Among them, I am particularly proud of my debut last summer representing Team GB in the World Athletics Team, where I contributed to winning a bronze medal as part of the relay team.

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

The first item on my list would undoubtedly be the Bible. As a devout Christian, its presence would offer me invaluable spiritual guidance, strength and comfort during difficult times.  Next would be a comprehensive survival kit packed with indispensable tools like a knife, fire starter, compass, flashlight. This would ensure I am equipped to tackle the challenges of wilderness survival. Lastly, a cherished family photograph, as it would serve as a powerful source of motivation and encouragement. Their love and support would fuel my determination to persevere through the harsh realities of desert living.

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

"Bounce" by Matthew Syed left a profound impact on me. This insightful book delves into the intricate relationship between talent and success, particularly in the realm of elite athletics. It emphasizes the crucial role of deliberate and consistent practice, as well as the pivotal influence of mindset and motivation.  What struck me most was its illumination of the fact that while innate talent may provide a foundation, true excellence is cultivated through relentless dedication and intentional practice. It reinforced the idea that success is not merely handed to those deemed naturally gifted but rather earned through hard work and perseverance.

9. What is on your bucket list?

My bucket list is filled with so many aspirations! Firstly, I love to travel and learn about new cultures. I aspire to journey to the Seven Wonders of the World, immersing myself in the beauty of the landscapes and the rich history that each landmark embodies. I also dream of competing in the Olympic Games and hope to come away with a gold medal representing my country with pride. I also look forward to embracing the joys of married life and starting a family of my own, as I love children. Other bucket list ideas include buying my own house and car and swimming with dolphins in Bali.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

With unlimited funds for one year, I would travel the world with family and friends, making sure I visit Tokyo, The Maldives and Dubai. Most of the funds would go towards supporting charitable causes and community development projects. I would also provide scholarships to minority children ensuring that both their university tuition and living expenses are fully covered. I would also allocate resources to provide essential living resources to developing countries, with the aim of bolstering their communities and bridging the gap between them and first-world nations.

Similar stories

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their lives, and about her most memorable moments during her time at… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

This month we spoke to Angela about her incredible job at the International Olympic Committee, and how writing for a ten… More...

We talked to Funmbi about her career as an architect, the valuable advice she received growing up, and the feeling of un… More...

Most read

ORs are invited to participate in a survey to help support current Roedeanians More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

March has seen us celebrate World Book Day, International Women's Day, and British Science Week, along with some outstanding student achievements. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech