Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Stephanie Pujol

10 Questions with...Stephanie Pujol

We talked to Stephanie about returning to work after a 14-year career break and how a new role ignited a passion that lit the way for her second career.
29 Sep 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Stephanie Pujol (Cox, No.1, 1983-88) is passionate about bringing people together in the context of DEIA (diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility). She avidly follows global diversity and inclusion thought leaders and new developments in the field, with a particular focus on themes such as gender equity.  Stephanie was born and raised in the UK, where in her first career she traded equities on the BNP Paribas London trading floor for 7 years until she had twin boys in 2003 and took a career break to raise her children. In 2017, she returned to the workplace to begin her career in diversity and inclusion in higher education at New York University’s Abu Dhabi campus where she also managed the Commercial Events department.  She most recently returned to the world of financial markets as Head of Internal Communications at ADSS where she strives to foster a workplace culture where everyone feels seen and heard.

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

I have so many amazing memories of my time there: the ODR packed full of us all to watch Top of the Pops (on a Thursday night), decorating Study Passage in the run up to Christmas, House plays, where we all had a role; and making friends who still feel like family after 30 years.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at school.

This is a weird one for me as at the time it certainly didn’t feel like advice, and I think the majority of us will have rolled our eyes back then.  But Mrs Lewis, who was the Deputy Head at the time, would remind us, at every assembly, of our privilege, and of how lucky we were to be offered an outstanding education and springboard into the world.  I have learned over the span of my career that privilege is rarely visible to those who have it, so I do my best to be aware of what is going on around me, be supportive, and create opportunities where possible and very much appreciate those who have done the same for me.

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

I genuinely didn’t have a clue - I was very busy looking at clothes, makeup, and music and didn’t think much about the future at that time!

4. What are you now you’ve grown up?

I am Head of Internal Communications at ADSS (a brokerage that trades CFD’s for both retail and institutional clients in Abu Dhabi, UAE).

5. What does your job involve?

My job requires me to work closely with the HR and Learning and Development departments to foster an engaged, motivated, and connected workplace through employee engagement initiatives and ensuring the community is kept up-to-date and connected and informed on a routine basis.

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

I am so proud of starting from scratch after a 17 marriage, with 2 (amazing!) children, and a 14-year career gap.  I stumbled back into the workplace, with no confidence and no real qualifications, or ability to return to my first career in investment banking career after such a long break. One of my biggest regrets is dropping out of university after 2 years of my 4-year course.  

I was interviewed for an administrative coordinator role at New York University Abu Dhabi, by an amazing woman (now a close friend and mentor), who took a chance on me and patiently explained everything, from electronic calendars to where the tea-making facilities were, and more importantly the basics of DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) and the difference between equity and equality.  This role ignited a passion that lit the way for my 2nd career.

7. What are the 3 objects that you would take to a desert island?

A functioning helicopter, a qualified pilot, and snacks (I can’t take credit for this idea, but now I’ve heard it I can’t think of anything better!!)

8. What books have had a significant influence on your life and why?

Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez which highlights how deeply rooted biases are in favour of a world designed for men, to the extent that symptoms in women are not recognised as medical research is in the majority based on the physiology of men. Gender bias in AI, in urban planning, even the temperature of an office is based on what is most suitable for a male body.  It made me realise how challenged we have been, as girls and women, growing up in a world that was not designed for us, and while things are changing, we are far from equity. I want to contribute to gender equity in any way that I can.

9. What is on your bucket list?

Japan!! I want to travel as much as I can, and at the top of that list is Japan.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds what would you do?

I would travel, travel, travel, endlessly!

On a less selfish note, I would invest heavily in women’s empowerment and safety, by creating scholarships and vocational training in fields dominated by men to help narrow the gender pay gap.

The key is to prioritize initiatives that empower women, address gender disparities, and create lasting change.

Similar stories

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupboard started a love for vintage… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

Most read

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupbo… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech