Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Abadesi Osunsade

10 Questions with...Abadesi Osunsade

This month we spoke to Abadesi, Founder and CEO of Hustle Crew, about her work on inclusion and how she is still on the stage, just as she was at Roedean, but this time as herself!
25 May 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Abadesi Osunsade (No.2, 2004-06),  is the founder and CEO of Hustle Crew, providing inclusion education to companies in a mission to make tech more inclusive. Since founding Hustle Crew, Abadesi has won numerous awards, including Forbes 25 Black Business Leaders to follow (2020) and Management Today Inspiring Women in Business (2021).

1. What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

What an impossible question! Probably singing along to Alicia Keys first album, using a hairbrush as a microphone, when I shared Crow's Nest in House 2 with Tsiory... also House Music when we sang songs from Sister Act 2.

2. What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

The funniest was certainly Mrs Sitwell reminding us that all breasts look like fried eggs when we're lying down [implied was the advice to not worry too much about the size of your own]

3. When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

This changed on a regular basis: novelist, actor, diplomat, philanthropist, MTV presenter, Josh Hartnett's wife [Tsiory and I ran a Geocities fansite for him around the time the movie Pearl Harbor was released]... really, I just wanted to make a positive impact on the world in my one precious life

4. What are you now you’ve grown up?

I'm an entrepreneur! I'm on a mission to make the future fairer than the present, and I do this by working within the tech ecosystem to increase diversity and inclusion e.g., through employer education and empowering a community of underrepresented tech entrepreneurs and professionals. With the rise of AI, it’s ever more important we ensure all kinds of people are participating in building tech... or else the future will be full of the injustices of today... even more so!

5. What does your job involve?

I create a lot of content to market my work e.g., my podcast Techish, videos on @hustlcrewlive TikTok and Instagram, and articles for our website. It raises awareness and brings us, customers. So, I'm using my communication and creativity skills constantly. My job also involves a lot of public speaking: not only do I deliver training e.g., to CEOs and venture capital investors, but I'm also invited to speak at conferences about my work. So, I guess I'm still on stage as I often was at school... not acting this time though, being myself!

6. What have you done that you are most proud of?

Throughout 2020 and 2021 when the world was grappling with the pandemic the entire NHS England team completed the inclusion training program I designed. At a time when Black and brown Brits were dying from COVID-19 at a faster rate than white ones, I feel incredibly proud to have played a role in raising awareness of bias, and prejudice, plus practical ways to promote inclusion.

7. What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

A photo album for memories of my loved ones, a Swiss army knife for practical tasks, and something impractical but luxurious like a silk dressing gown to keep me tethered to my past life and civilization.

8. What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

I’m an avid reader so this question feels like Sophie’s Choice. Mindset by Dr Carol S Dweck really helped me get over my fear of failure and rejection, so I guess I’ll pick that. I also enjoyed reading Maya Angelou ‘I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings’ it’s a story of faith, creativity and unapologetically living a life on your terms in a world that can often feel hostile to Black women.

9. What is on your bucket list?

I don't have one: I don't believe in waiting to seek joy. Life is too short. Memento mori. I prioritise adventure in my life so when I really want to do something, I find a way to make it happen.

10. If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

I would invest in female tech founders in Nigeria and the Philippines [where my parents are from] and coach them to help them grow their businesses.

Similar stories

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupboard started a love for vintage… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

Most read

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupbo… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Catching up with friends, old and new. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech