Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...Abigail Burdesss

10 Questions with...Abigail Burdesss

This month we talked to Abigail about her passion for writing and how during the pandemic she decided to take a break from screenwriting and turned to writing thrillers.
5 Jan 2023
Written by Sian Ellis
Alumnae Interviews

Abigail Burdess (No.2, 1983 - 92), is a screen writer and comedian, however during the pandemic she decided to start writing thrillers, with her first novel due to be published in March 2023. She talks to us about how even during her time at Roedean she had wanted to be a writer and how that dream turned into a reality.

What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

Directing a play of The Worst Witch in Junior House. All the little witches went up on their broomsticks out of the door at one end of the stage and landed through the door at the other end – making it look like they’d flown in-between. The girls worked together to make a moment of pure magic. 

What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

My housemistress, Mrs Scott said, “Make a decision. You can always make another decision.” 

When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

According to the essay I’ve just found from Upper Three B, I wanted to be a writer. “I would like to write good books, that I know people will enjoy reading, because every time I try to write it ends up really muddled." 

What are you now you’ve grown up?

I’m a writer, comedian and actor. Fortunately I now have an editor. He makes sure nothing “ends up really muddled."

What does your job involve?

I write books and plays and TV and radio shows – the odd musical. Occasionally I also do some (usually comic) acting, or stand-up comedy. It involves a lot of rejection and very rare moments of giddy glamour.

What have you done that you are most proud of?

I once played a dancing snooker table. That was fun. I suppose I’m always proudest of whatever I’ve done most recently, so I’ll say my first thriller, Mother’s Day, out this March. You might recognise the school my heroine, Anna, goes to.

What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

A boat, another boat, and a third boat. I do not do well alone.

What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

Kate Atkinson’s ‘A God In Ruins’ floored me. Joseph Heller’s ‘Catch 22’ was the funniest thing I’d ever read at one time. ‘Misery’ by Stephen King, is simultaneously a brilliant thriller, and a profound book about art and addiction. They are all books you want to keep reading. I love a story. 

What is on your bucket list?

I’d like to make a movie. Also write an original sitcom. Also a rom-com. Maybe I should go all in and write a romantic situational comedy movie?

If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

Do I only have one year? I mean, do I die at the end of it? I’d give the unlimited funds to an environmental charity - not because I’m a good person but because I’ve already got more responsibility than I can handle. Then I'd finish my current book. I hate leaving stuff undone. 

Similar stories

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupboard started a love for vintage… More...

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

Most read

Emily talked to us about her dream of becoming an actress at school and how spending her time exploring the drama department's extensive costume cupbo… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

Catching up with friends, old and new. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech