Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumnae Interviews > 10 Questions with...OR Ann Evans

10 Questions with...OR Ann Evans

Ann talks about being far from an ideal student until finding her calling as a Barrister.

Ann Evans (Blackburn, No. 2, 1965-72) was by her own admission, far from a model pupil during her time at Roedean. She left with 3 Cs at A Level, and no idea what she wanted to do. Until she was 25, she drifted from one secretarial job to another. Ann enjoyed working at the BBC, and advertising agencies, before she ended up working for a solicitor, who would take Ann to court with him to fill out legal aid forms. Sitting at the back of court she though 'I can do that'. Wind forward 50 years and she has had a very successful career as a Criminal Barrister, and is now a Judge, perhaps to the surprise of many of her fellow pupils at school.

What is your favourite memory of Roedean?

Singing in the St. Matthew Passion at Lancing School, my one distinguished achievement, I was head of choir. Music and singing was the one thing at school I really enjoyed. 

What was the best piece of advice you were given whilst at School?

Whatever it was, and I don’t remember now, I’m sure I would have done the opposite.

When you were at Roedean, what did you want to be when you ‘grew-up’?

For reasons that escape me now I wanted to be an Air Traffic Controller. A more serious suggestion came from our drama teacher who suggested I go to RADA, and Miss Cooper who suggested I try for the Royal Academy of Music.

What are you now you’ve grown up?

A Judge, I am lucky enough to be able to say that I have loved every moment of being a barrister and then becoming a Judge, it is a real privilege and a fascinating job which encapsulates some type of human drama every day, and sometimes you can make a difference to the outcome for the better. 

What does your job involve?

Making sure that each side in a case has an opportunity to be heard, to be fair, not to take sides, not to be hasty reaching decisions, not to pre-judge.

What have you done that you are most proud of?

Apart from my two grown up children Amber and Max, I am most proud of getting Scholarship in the Bar Finals, given my history at school!

What are the three objects you would take with you to a desert island?

A Kindle so I had unlimited reading material, a piano so I could take up the piano again (thanks to Miss Cooper, Head of Music at school I managed to get Grade 8 with Distinction) and a cocktail cabinet that never emptied.

What books have had a significant influence on you and why?

All my text books when I started to want to learn when I went to college aged 25 to start my law course.

What is on your bucket list?

To go to Glastonbury Festival again, to have a cocktail at the Marine Bay Sands Hotel in Singapore and be a VIP Guest at a Formula 1 Race as I am one of Lewis Hamilton’s greatest fans.

If you had one year and unlimited funds, what would you do?

Travel the world and at each country I stopped at I would do a cooking course and also hope to contribute in some charitable way to people who need that most. 

Similar stories

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was integral to her experience at Roe… More...

This month we talked to Clare about her incredible job as an author, how her first book helped people transform their li… More...

This month we caught up with Michelle Allen. She talked to us about her love for the theatre when she was at school and … More...

We spoke to Julia about her career at Boiler Room, her favourite food concoctions at Roedean, and how she always knew sh… More...

This month we spoke to Angela about her incredible job at the International Olympic Committee, and how writing for a ten… More...

Most read

Amber talks to us about her life-changing decision to relocate to America, her ambition to become a professional athlete, and how House spirit was int… More...

Keeping up with everything going on at Roedean. More...

46 contributors represented a fantastic range of professions at our annual Careers' Fair. More...

Have your say

This website is powered by
ToucanTech