The Roedean School Governors' and ORA AGMs were held at 6 pm and 7 pm respectively on Monday 13 March at the Caledonian Club, London SW1.
It was a very positive Governors' AGM. The meeting was chaired by the President of Council, Lady Lavender Patten (Thornton, House 3, 1955-61). She welcomed those present, introduced the top table and noted the thanks due to Simon Rothon, the former Chair of Council. The new Chair, Anne Whitaker, then gave an update on the many recent successes at Roedean. This was followed by unanimous approval of the previous minutes, the annual report and accounts and the reappointment of the auditors. Two candidates had been proposed for the two vacancies on Council: both Katherine Cowell (Behrens, House 3, 1965-71) and Andrew Pianca FCA were elected unanimously by a show of hands. The meeting closed at 6.55 pm.
The ORA AGM was also very positive. Ginny Stephen, Chairman of the ORA, chaired the meeting, thanked all those Committee members who were retiring, and welcomed the present Committee to their new year in office. The start of the meeting involved an introduction to the new Alumnae Relations team at Roedean - Mark Taylor and Grace Cather. The formal ORA business of the AGM then took place with ORA members only.
The new ORA Committee comprises the following:
- Ginny Stephen, Chairman (de Trense, House 3, 1954-60)
- Erica Faircloth, Treasurer (Rhodes, House 4, 1958-64)
- Lois Johnson Membership Secretary (Campbell, House 3, 1979-86)
- Gillie Smellie, Editor of the OR Magazine (Aikin, House 1, 1973-81)
- Lizzie Lo, Assistant Editor (House 4, 2003-10)
- Louise Cotton, Channel Island Representative (Garland, House 3, 1971-78)
- Mary Henderson (House 3, 1971-76)
- Robyn Crabbe (Blackburn, House 1, 1972-77)
- Frances Graham (House 4, 1982-89)
The Caledonian Club was an excellent venue for the AGMs. It has a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Most who attended the meetings gathered afterwards for a glass of Prosecco followed by the Hot Buffet Supper at 8.15 pm. This was very well organised by the ORA. Over supper the company was pleased to listen to Oliver Blond, the Headmaster, give an update on School successes. It was a very enjoyable evening.